Copyright & Schools



Did you know that the Department manages copyright licences on behalf of schools? This arrangement continues for 2017-18, covering many copyright management organisations (CMOs) including:


  • print and digital copyright content in books, journals and magazines (Copyright Licensing Agency ( CLA)
  • printed music (Schools Printed Music Licence (SPML)
  • copyright content in newspapers and magazines (the Newspaper Licensing Agency media access (NLA) licence);
  • recording and use of copies of radio and television programmes, including from a number of catch up services the Educational Recording Agency (ERA) licence)
  • the showing of films (the Public Video Screening Licence (PVSL) and Motion Picture Licensing Company (MPLC) licences)
  • payments for musical performances of covered work (Performing Right Society for Music (PRS);
  • playing recorded music (Phonographic Performance Ltd. (PPL);
  • rights to make CDs and DVDs containing copyright music(the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS); and
  • hymns and other Christian music (Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI).

More detail on what is included in these licences can be found in the factsheet or on the Copyright and schools website below.


These licences cover:

  • Local authority-maintained schools (including maintained nurseries)
  • Academies
  • Free sools
  • Special schools
  • Non-maintained special schools
  • Pupil referral units